Recipe: Plant-Based Apple Cider Donuts
Apple cider donuts; a seasonal treat and a fall-food must have! iTi Tropicals’ innovation team took a fall-food favorite and gave it a light, tropical twist. Not only are the donuts delicious, but they are also entirely plant-based! The original recipe that we made uses eggs and butter. We found that we are able to use our banana puree to replace the eggs and use our 100% Coconut Milk Powder in place of the butter!
iTi Tropicals’ Banana Puree makes a great egg replacement in baked ingredients. The naturally occurring starches, sugars, and pectin provide a structure that would normally come from the egg and the high moisture content acts as a binder to hold the ingredients together.
Our 100% Coconut Milk Powder is a great replacement for dairy butter because it has slightly less fat than butter at 65% and provides a decadent mouthfeel to enhance baked goods!
Check out the formula below for Apple Cider Donuts with a Tropical Twist.
Apple Cider Donuts with a Tropical Twist
|Light Brown Sugar||7.96|
|2970 Coconut Milk Powder, 100% Coconut||2.26|
|1200 Aseptic Banana Puree, Non-Acidified, Seedless||4.79|
|Canola Oil*||2 cups|
*Canola oil is only used for frying, so it is not included in total ingredients.
1. Measure all ingredients. Heat apple cider in a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer. Simmer until apple cider has reduced by 1/2 in volume. About 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat once reduced and let cool.
2. In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and 10.84g of cinnamon. Mix together and set aside. This is the coating for finished donuts.
3. In a large bowl, combine ap flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, and the remaining 5.33g of cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.
4. In a separate large bowl, combine water and 2970 Coconut Milk Powder. Mix well, then microwave for 1 minute to melt the coconut milk powder. Mix again to fully combine. Add 1200 Banana Puree and cooled apple cider. Whisk well.
5. Pour the mixture over flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until all ingredients are combined. Cover and place in refrigerator for one hour.
6. Lightly flour a flat surface. Separate the dough into 3 pieces and roll dough into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Cut rounds with desired size cutter, then use a smaller cutter to cut a hole in the middle of each round.
7. Heat canola oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat until the oil reaches 375°F.
8. Once heated, add 1-2 donuts at a time. Fry the donuts until they are evenly golden brown and crispy. 1- 1 1/2 minutes per side. Remove the donuts from oil onto a paper towel or wire rack for 1 minute.
9. Roll donuts in the cinnamon-sugar mixture made in step 2. Donuts should be coated evenly. Serve warm.
Tags:  plant based donuts apple cider donuts